Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Journey includes subsidiarity

Throughout the day, Wednesday 15 July, we worked on various resolutions as we prepared to hear the budget from Program, Budget and Finance Committee in a joint session with the House of Deputies in the early afternoon. The budget is on line and I have not had time to study it in much depth, so I will only say that from my initial impressions looking over the document is that it is obvious that the cuts are deep and the ministries across the board are affected. The economic situation has made a deep impact upon The Episcopal Church in it mission and ministry. One of my fellow bishops reminded us all that this is the time to understand again the Doctrine of Subsidiarity which only means that whatever needs to be done should be accomplished on the lowest level possible. So rather than have The Episcopal Church do certain ministries, individual dioceses, congregations and laity should be encouraged to do the ministry to which we are all called through our Baptisms. That is one way of looking at this challenge as opportunity for us to find ways to reach out and into those areas within our local communities (and beyond) that need to hear the Word and experience the Healing Touch of the Gospel. That is my reflection as I try and put a more hopeful “spin” on our need to do mission and ministry.


During the late afternoon the House of Bishops considered Resolution C056 which we had begun the day before. It was a contentious resolution for many of us and we formed a committee that would bring back a substitute resolution expressing a more pastoral response to those in need and with which we could find some hope for all of us in the future. The substitute resolution after vigorous debate and many failed and accepted amendments finally passed the House of Bishops with a margin of 3 to 1. Let me say here that although I voted in the negative, that if it is passed in the House of Deputies, it is a resolution with which I can live and I believe could bring us closer together in The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion. It is not a perfect document yet it is truthful about where we are as a society, The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion. In a conversation last evening I was asked what “spin” I was going to put on this resolution. I thought for a minute and said, “The truth as I experience it.” I am very grateful to my fellow bishops who worked on this resolution and listened to one another. I hope and pray that this collegial and collaborative method of working together (the Indaba approach practiced at the 2008 Lambeth Conference) will continue within the House of Bishops. Today we move into the last push of our work together as the General Convention. Blessing and grace be with you all.


In His PAX, Bishop Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment